The authors trace the story of this remarkable winery through the accounts of owners, employees both past and present, descendants of the early winemakers and grape-growers. They relate the journey Château Tanunda from its grand early days fulfilling the aspirations of its founder George F. Cleland and his winemakers, J.C Gelly and Frank C. Jaunay ; then through the era of its renowned Château Tanunda Brandy to a period of industry innovation during its ownership by B. Seppelt and Sons.
Finally it brings the story to the present time, celebrating the vision of the Geber family in restoring Château Tanunda and celebrating 127 years of winemaking at a fine wine estate. As John Geber says: ‘Our much awarded range of Limited Release wines is up there with the very best in the world’. And so too is the history of this magnificent Icon of the Barossa captured in this limited edition book.
This took two years to complete and was launched in late November during the official opening of the new cellar door at Château Tanunda. It marks 20 years of ownership by the Geber family, who restored the building and landscaped the surrounds to a level that could never have been dreamt of by the founders, who built the chateau in 1890.
The word ‘icon’ is much overused these days, but it is absolutely justified here.
Geoffrey Bishop is a wine industry historian of high standing and it is no surprise that this book reads superbly. It has been researched, written, illustrated and produced to the very highest level. The pictures and illustrations alone could occupy the casual browser for an hour or so.
What John Geber and his family have achieved with the restoration of the property, to say nothing of the high quality of their wines, is extraordinary. The word ‘icon’ is much overused these days, but it is absolutely justified here. And this excellent book does it full justice
3 in stock